To care and educate: the continuity within Queen’s Nursing in Scotland, c. 1948-2000

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

46 Downloads (Pure)

Abstract

Home nursing has been practised in some form or another for many years,
but in Britain it became formalised in 1889 through the Queen’s Nursing
Institute (QNI). Financed by a gift from Queen Victoria, the QNI provided
the training and administration of home nurses and the home nursing service for many local, voluntary District Nurse Associations (DNAs). Although recruited by the QNI, local communities employed the nurse, providing her with a house, salary, and often transport. In return, the nurse was expected to live in the community, nurse the sick and dying, provide maternity services, and sometimes collect fees for services. The nurse reported to both the local committee and the QNI, with the latter ensuring the maintenance of high nursing standards. The Scottish branch of the Institute, the Queen’s Nursing Institute Scotland (QNIS), was formed in 1909, with a starting endowment of £400 from the overall income of the Queen’s gift to the institute of about
£2,000.
1 By the 1920s, most areas of Scotland had established DNAs, with the majority affiliated with the QNIS. Affiliation with the QNIS was desirable because these nurse recruits were specifically trained for district work rather than general nursing. Not only were they firmly grounded in hygiene practices, they quickly became a visible presence in the community, wearing a navy uniform with military-style epaulettes.
2 This uniform identified their status as health-care professionals, while their training and manner confirmed it
Original languageEnglish
Article number7
Pages (from-to)97-110
Number of pages14
JournalNursing History Review
Volume26
Issue number1
Early online date1 Aug 2017
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 2018

    Fingerprint

Keywords

  • Queen's Nursing
  • home health care
  • public health
  • health education

Cite this